Saturday, August 21, 2010

Why would a terminally ill person want to adopt?

I read in somebody's answer that an agency instead of telling the woman right away that she wouldn't qualify to adopt charged her the homestudy fees. And that the woman had maybe 5 years left to live.





My question is trying to understand why a terminally ill person want to adopt a newborn for? Wouldn't they think that it would be hard on the child to lose both it's natural mother and it's adoptive mother?





This is a question out of curiosity. I am trying to find or figure out the logical of that type of situation.Why would a terminally ill person want to adopt?
I agree with the others. If she knew she was terminal, my guess is she was trying to turn as many dreams into reality as possible in the time she had left. She probably never considered the effect it would have on the child to lose his/her mother ... again.





When our daughter was 17 months old I was diagnosed with breast cancer. I was 38 at the time. One of the hardest things I've ever had to do was tell her natural mom about my diagnosis. She said, ';Oh my God, I gave her to you and you're going to die!'; Gulp!





I didn't die. It's been almost nine years and I'm cancer free. But the event changed me. Not only am I grateful for life itself, but I crossed several things off my dream list. Our daughter is our only child. It was horrible putting one child and her natural mother through the scare (not to mentioned my hubby and family), but to do it again is unthinkable.Why would a terminally ill person want to adopt?
Wow that would be so selfish. To have this child lose a birth mother and then also an adoptive mom is just too much. I can hardly believe that anyone would license her to adopt. We had to go through all sorts of physical and mental health stuff to even get our homestudy done. We went through a private agency for our last adoption but it was for a special needs infant from foster care (the sister to one of our adopted children). We had to prove we were healthy enough to care for her. I think that it is hard as often we are looking at what we want (the child) and have to remember it has to be what is best for this child NOT us. Also that our kids cannot truly lose their birth parents...if we love these kids those birthparents have to be a very real part of our lives and theirs. Our kids need to be comfortable talking about them and loving them, etc.
Selfishness, through and through.





As an adoptee who lost her adoptive mother to a terminal illness I can not even begin to share how profound such a loss is. By the time I was 14 I had lost three entire families and two mothers. Anyone who would knowingly put a child through that kind of pain and anguish should be committed not homestudied.
Well, it's obviously not for the benefit of the child, that's for damn sure. The woman is selfish and entitled and believes that children are commodities. She wants to experience having a baby before she dies, so she's just going to go right out and by herself one. Sick, twisted...this stuff just p*sses me off so bad!
Who knows why... the important thing is that they didn't pass the home study. (not all cancer is fatal, but terminal is.) That's where the qualifications should come from to be an adoptive parent or not. There are no guarantees just because you want to adopt a child that it will happen.
IMHO I think it would be better to be a foster parent / work with children at that rate THAN adopting a child.





However, I guess some people just really want a child of their own who would call them ';mum'; or ';dad'; I suppose...
I agree with the others and it is completely wrong, adoption is supposed to be about the child not somebody's needs.
There's no logic......she's just trying to fulfill one of ';her'; dreams before dying. Hopefully she is around people that have common sense.





Again...adoption isn't about adults and their wants.
Selfishness.





She shouldn't be allowed to.

No comments:

Post a Comment