Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Do you think Cho's videos will lead to a worsening of peoples views of mentally ill loners or will it help

people to have a greater understanding and more care?


I personally am a mentally ill loner diagnosed as paranoid schizophrenic but would never be violent to anyone but its made me fear what the neighbours and others think, because I don't talk to them apart from when she mentions the weather and says hello, i respond. They know I am in my house a lot and always on my own.Do you think Cho's videos will lead to a worsening of peoples views of mentally ill loners or will it help
As long as you are taking your medication and you are under the care of and monitored by doctors, you should be fine. If you ever feel like something is wrong, please notify them so that they may take care of you and make sure that you don't harm yourself or anyone else. Good luck to you.Do you think Cho's videos will lead to a worsening of peoples views of mentally ill loners or will it help
I have been aware of some very brilliant, productive people with your diagnosis- some who can tell the difference between reality and their hallucinatory episodes. I'm sure most people with certain mental illnesses don't commit crimes. Being a loner isn't a crime.


I am tired, however, of waiting for the medical community and law enforcement to only act when a crime has been committed.


Sometimes people choose to get help and sometimes they stop their meds and they lose their way for awhile or choose not to get help- how do the rest of us monitor that?


There has to be some way of protecting the majority of us from the few that would be perpetrators of crimes- without violating the human rights of the mentally ill. Not everyone has a wonderful support system either.


Some people give obvious things away or express violence-those are the easy cases.


That young man was reported on a few ocassions for inappropriate or scary behavior and all they did was speak to him because that is all they could do.


I would like to know what YOU think about prevention/intervention to keep the rest of us safe? I would be curious to know if you ever initiate conversations about the weather or say hello when you see your neighbors also or why not?


I'm not sure about allowing the sale of weapons to the mentally ill- but that is another violation of our right to bear arms- Hell, we've all ready lost a big part of our right to free speech! Oh well- stay well and good luck. I will not discriminate and I will try to be understanding.
could possibly make things worse for you. But if your neighbours know you well enough then they should have no reason to fear you.
I think what happened in that School is terrible and tragic. The person I have most compassion for is the killer. What a dreadful mental state he must have been in. What was it that made him so mentally ill and why the hell wasn't he helped sooner?


Regarding yourself, who gives a crap what people think of you. Number 1: If they judge you, they are not very nice people. Number 2: If they judge you more harshly because of what someone else has done, then they are even more ignorant and stupid and are not worth the worry. You have shown you are gentle and compassionate because you are worrying about the effects of the terrible tragedy in Virginia. If people fail to recognise that, then screw them!


People will think what they think and you worrying about it will achieve nothing. So go about your business and stop worrying.
Hi Jonno,


I have the same diagnosis as you but am getting better all the time, thank providence. It is a b*tch when someone goes gonzoid like that, thankfully it is very rare. The ones to watch out for are normal people, 10% of them cause 80% of crime, us crazies only cause 0.007 of all crime. (This is not a statistical overstatement) We have more to fear from them than they do from us, I tell you my friend.


From what I hear, the one thing that made this chap do what he did was that he was taking SSRI antidepressants.


In a significant minority of cases, they provoke VERY violent thoughts and actions in people. I have experienced this myself, I only got though it with help from my friends, I stopped taking them and all was well.


I hope you feel more human soon, it is an awful thing to deal with, may the grace of God walk with you.
I don't know. Mental illness is so hard for some people to deal with. When someone mentally ill commits a violent crime, people get the idea that everyone who has a mental illness, such as depression can become violent and this is just not true.





Personally I don't think the video should have been shown to the public, but that is only my opinion and I know people want answers to this tragedy.
That is a very good question. So far the media have been making a huge issue out of his race as well.





People are generally frightened of what they don't understand, and usually make stereotypes out of it all. This makes life more difficult for those of us struggling with mental illness.





Yes, beyond shadow of doubt, he was was highly disturbed, but he was not typical of most mentally ill people.
I think people are going to feel as they feel regardless. I am also a person who stays inside alot, I do not feel that everyone diaganoised with any form of mental illness will become a person to hurt. It is more than just the illness itself that makes some one do what cho did. I talk to people when i see them but do not go out of my way to visit. I enjoy time alone as I am a single parent with three children. I don;t think your neighbours will feel that way. They may just be trying to get to know you and by small talk they may hope you will do your part to get to know them better. Everyone is different in personality and social status. I don't feel you have to be out all the time partying or socializing. If you fell comfortable being on your own, enjoy it. If you feel the need to go out and meet and greet people, go for it, We all have the right to choose who and when we socialize with others. Just enjoy your life. Never worry about what others think, enjoy being who you are.
I always worry when tragedy's like this occur because there are so many followers in the world. It is like they set an example and start a trend... you just watch, I am sure there will be a couple of little copy cat situations happen in the following day. That is where I think the video may not be of any help, but for people like yourself, maybe it can help. You just said, you would never hurt anyone, so the video did actually get you thinking about things. Lets just hope for the best, and I hope that you can get the appropriate help to come out of your shell and live a joyfull life as well! Good luck!
Most people never suspect somebody will go on a killing rampage unless they have obvious signs(intense hate towards humanity/peers, fascination with guns/violence, repeated mentions of violent retribution).





A common response is ';I never would I have guessed he'd do that!';





Rarely if ever does anybody say ';Damn, I always knew that kid would go psycho one day!';
Johnno, I really hope your neighbours have a good enough sense of you to know you are not going to do anything violent. But you raise very important issues. There does seem to be (in the UK, anyway) a general and ill-informed belief that anyone who is a bit different is necessarily dangerous, and certainly what was said on both sides of the Atlantic after the shooting seemed quite lunatic when it suggested that anyone who is somewhat odd should be locked up. I would love people to have more understanding but there seems to be a general simplistic approach by much of the general public and the medical profession.





I was astounded to see someone else on here suggest that preventing the sale of guns would infringe some form of 'rights'. Surely the way we should act as a caring and democratic society is to do all we can to prevent vulnerable people suffering - and in my book that includes ensuring that potentially volatile people (most of us, at one time or another) cannot get hold of and use lethal weapons.

No comments:

Post a Comment